Butteville is an unincorporated community of about 265 people located on the south bank of the Willamette River between St. Paul and Wilsonville. The area was settled in the 1840’s, and many of the first settlers were French Canadian. The historic Butteville Store was established in1863, and the business still serves the community. Butteville and nearby Champoeg were major stopping points for the many River steamboats that plied the river in the late 19th and early 20th centuries moving people and goods. Oregon’s first provisional government was formed in Champoeg in 1843.